Chef Shashank’s Everyday Lentil Soup
Happy November 1st, everybody! Now that it’s the season for hearty soups, we wanted to share Chef Shashank’s Everyday Lentil Soup recipe. This is a delicious budget-friendly meal that can be made as-is for our vegan and vegetarian friends, or with protein like chicken or lean turkey added for a heartier meal. Not to mention, it freezes well and can be served for lunch or dinner. Keep a big batch of this on hand for quick dinners with easy cleanup!
Everyday Lentil Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
Calories: 250 cal.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 14 oz can crushed or diced tomatoes
2 cups dry green or brown lentils
7 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
3 c. baby spinach, sliced into ribbons (optional)
Juice of one lemon
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring frequently for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the can of tomatoes (with liquid), lentils, vegetable broth, cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika. Stir to incorporate everything.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender and the soup has thickened.
- Stir in the spinach and lemon juice. It will only take a minute for the spinach to wilt. Season with salt to taste.
- Want to add in your favorite protein? Cook separately and stir in at the end.
- Serve in individual bowls and enjoy!