Chef Shashank’s Everyday Lentil Soup
Do you find yourself always ordering the Lentil Soup from our Fresh Express? Now we’re sharing the recipe so you can make Chef Shashank’s Everyday Lentil Soup from the comfort of your own kitchen. This is a delicious budget-friendly meal that can be made as-is for our vegan and vegetarian friends, or with protein like chicken or lean turkey added for a heartier meal. Not to mention, it freezes well and can be served for lunch or dinner. Keep a big batch of this on hand for quick dinners with easy cleanup!
Everyday Lentil Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
Calories: 250 cal.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 14 oz can crushed or diced tomatoes
2 cups dry green or brown lentils
7 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
3 c. baby spinach, sliced into ribbons (optional)
Juice of one lemon
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring frequently for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the can of tomatoes (with liquid), lentils, vegetable broth, cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika. Stir to incorporate everything.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender and the soup has thickened.
- Stir in the spinach and lemon juice. It will only take a minute for the spinach to wilt. Season with salt to taste.
- Want to add in your favorite protein? Cook separately and stir in at the end.
- Serve in individual bowls and enjoy!
You can find our lentil soup on our Fresh Express menu as a soup of the day. Visit our blog to see more of our Sidewalk Chef recipes!