Sidewalk Chef’s Watermelon Recipes
With Labor Day just around the corner, we’re well aware that summer is on its way out. This means we’re looking for recipes to use up the last bit of fresh fruit in our refrigerators before we swap them out for the fruits and vegetables of fall. To truly commemorate summer (and for a great last-minute Labor Day weekend recipe), give our watermelon recipes a try! The salad is light, fresh, and healthy, and the cocktail only has four ingredints – no muddling involved, either! Both recipes are simple and require ingredients you probably already have on hand. Not to mention, they’re sure to be a big hit!
Ready? Let’s get started!
Makes: 4 servings
- 5 cups cubed and de-seeded watermelon
- 1 cup English cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped mint and basil leaves
- Pinch of sea salt
- Arrange the watermelon, cucumber, and red onions in a large salad bowl.
- Prepare a dressing with 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, 3 tbsp lime juice, 1/2 minced garlic, and 1/4 tsp salt. Dress in the bowl.
- Add feta and mint leaves and season to taste with more dressing if needed. Toss the salad and serve!
Now that you’ve got your salad, it’s time for a cocktail!
Makes: 2 drinks
- 3 cups watermelon, cubed
- 3 ounces vodka (or add your favorite sparkling water to make this non-alcoholic!)
- 3 ounces triple sec
- Juice of 2 limes
- First, be sure to de-seed the watermelons. This is important! Then, add to a blender and pulse until liquified.
- Strain watermelon juice into a cocktail shaker. Add liquor or sparkling water, triple sec, lime juice, and ice. Shake until combined.
- Pour into your favorite glass and garnish with mint or basil. Serve, sip, and enjoy!
Looking for more healthy Sidewalk Chef recipes? Visit our blog to see what’s cookin’!